Incorporated in 1850, Ozark is adjacent to much of Arkansas wine country, and contains a bridge to cross the Arkansas River for travelers heading to points south. The city is also located on Arkansas Highway 23, nicknamed the Pig Trail Scenic Byway, known for its steep drops, sharp curves and scenic mountain views.
The name Aux Arcs, later simplified to "Ozark", was given to this bend of the river by the French explorers when they were mapping out this land.[
Native Americans roamed the area freely before Arkansas was a territory. The Cherokee and Osage lived in this area that would later become attractive to settlers. The Ozark area was frequented by French fur trappers and served as a landmark during European exploration of the area. It was these adventurous souls who gave the area and the rolling mountains that rise there their name, Aux Arcs.
Included in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, the vicinity became a stopping and crossing point along the Arkansas River. The modern settlement of Ozark was established here in the 1830s, and an important road grew connecting Ozark to Fayetteville, Arkansas, following the route of today's Pig Trail Scenic Byway to connect Northwest Arkansas with the river.
Ozark played a role on the Trail of Tears. Steamboats would often stop here in times of low water and Native Americans camped in Ozark before moving to Oklahoma on foot. The waterfront is a designated stop on the trail of tears route.
Although Ozark prospered over the years, it remained a small city on the river.
The name "Ozark" comes from Aux Arcs, the name given to the area and the mountains that rise there by early French settlers. Ozark, Arkansas, was the first community to be incorporated with that name.
Franklin County Courthouse (Ozark, Arkansas)
The Franklin County Courthouse is located at 211 West Commercial Street in Ozark, the county seat of Franklin County, Arkansas. It is a two-story brick structure, with a tower prominently sited at one corner. The courthouse was built in 1904 to a design by Little Rock architect Frank W. Gibb, and originally had Italianate styling. It was extensively damaged by fire in 1944, and its upper level was rebuilt in a Classical Moderne style to a design by T. Ewing Sheldon, an architect from Fayetteville.